Tuesday, August 31, 2010

MRS. BEE'S WILD RIDE

As some of you know I just finished up another trip to Las Vegas.  This time I added a new adventure to my usual Vegas playbook.  While not in the category of  "The Hangover" this none the less was pretty exciting for me.

I flew in on Wednesday by myself because my husband was on a business trip and was joining me later that evening.  I made my way to my hotel (Paris) checked in, unpacked and set out to go play poker.  The weather was a balmy 107 degrees so walking down to the Venetian where I wanted to play would be impossible.  I knew there is a bus on the strip called the Duece (has a second deck) that goes up and down the strip and costs $7 for a 24 hour pass, but I had never used it before.  I considered doing this because the last cab I took for a two block ride (2am in the morning) cost $40.  Not wanting to be ripped off again I decided on the bus which stopped right in front of my hotel.  Got on and without any problems jumped off at the Venetian. 

I played in a 7 pm tournament and was knocked out around 9:30 pm.  My husband was arriving at 11pm so I needed to get back.  Again, I didn't want to walk by myself at night and it was still 100 degrees so I decided to jump on the "Duece".  Found the stop and the bus came by shortly after.  I had a great time riding, talking with nice tourists and reading the funny signage along the way.  My favorite was a tatoo parlor named:  " The Precious Slut".   Before I knew it we were heading north and I began to worry when I heard the bus driver say next stop Fremont Street.  For those of you familiar with Las Vegas, Fremont Street is the old part of Las Vegas, the one you see in the movies, where the Golden Nugget resides.  This part of Vegas is fun and they now have the "Fremont Experience" which is great if you have never seen it.  HOWEVER, comma, this is also a high crime area and a pickpockets haven. 

As the bus rolled to a stop the driver announced that this was the FINAL destination - everyone off.  WTF?  I need to go to the Paris Hotel now about 3 miles away.  I asked the bus driver if I had to get off (I was the only one left sitting on the bus) and he said yes.  I asked where the other bus was that I needed to go south on and he pointed toward an alley.  I reluctantly got off the bus clutching my cell phone and purse very tightly.  I started walking where the bus driver pointed and quickly figured out that it was a parking garage.  I decided to retrace my steps and go toward the crowds.  After some searching and walking admid what surely must have been a carnival act, but turned out was just tourists, I was relieved to find the bus stop in one piece and waited for the southbound "Duece".  It finally arrived and after boarding began to breathe again.  I enjoyed talking with a couple from Ohio who showed me pictures they took of themselves and Gordon Ramsey, who was in the restaurant where they were eating.  We exchanged tidbits of information, where to eat, what shows to see, etc.  This was fun for about 20 minutes then I wanted to hurry up and get back.  After traveling through a pretty shady part of town we reached the Strip again.  I looked at my watch and noticed it was now 11 pm.  Knowing my husband would be landing and wondering where I was I held my phone waiting for the call.   The bus inched forward and stopped every 100 feet or so and waited for 10-15 minutes for loading and unloading.  Agony. 

Then the call came.  "Where are you"? he asks,  "funny you should ask", I say.  I explain my bus ride and tell him I may be a little late.  "No problem, I will meet you at the hotel" he says.  What a great husband I have.  Then the bus inches forward - after an hour and a half later I arrive in front of Ceasars and walk across the street to my hotel.  I meet my husband as he walks in from the parking garage and all is well. 

The rest of the trip was great, some highlights include seeing  "LOVE" the Cirque Du Soleil act done to Beatles music - FANTASTIC!  Going to Primm outlets and acquiring a new Coach purse, cashing in a big tournament at the Venetian where I was the only woman and eating breakfast at one of our favorites Bouchon.

I would however like to leave you with some lessons learned:

1.  Know which side of the street to catch the appropriate bus.

2.  Don't try to save money in Las Vegas.

3.  Wear appropriate shoes.

4.  No need to have a sweat shirt when its 100 plus degrees.

5.  Eat before getting on the bus.

6.  Take a bottle of water with you.

7.  Go TO THE BATHROOM before getting on the bus.

BEE SMART

5 comments:

  1. ALWAYS go to the bathroom BEFORE EVERYTHING. I was stuck in an elevator once.....even as I was getting on I thought "should have stopped in the restroom"....and then BAM! no power, waiting for firemen. This was twenty years ago and the vision in my head is like yesterday. Some of my favorite adventures began with taking the wrong bus, missing the cruise ship, etc.....so as long as I am not extremely hungry or have had too much iced tea, I welcome the "I don't think we are on the right train......" moment. I'd take a road trip and wander the streets with you anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite an adventure! I must say, Bouchon and Primm sound like they would be my highlights. What's your new bag look like, huh? :) Need a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you would absolutely love "LOVE". My purse is fabulous and is the sister of a silver one that was just purchased. Will take a pic and email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another coach bag??!!
    ok, i've contacted Dr. Drew and we have an intervention planned for next week.
    i'll send you directions on where to meet and what bus to catch there.
    love,
    anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make it two tickets cause I will have to take my "Purse Pimp" with me. :)

    ReplyDelete