Monday, February 14, 2011

BEE-ING AT THE FINAL TABLE




Yesterday was a fabulous moment for me.  I played in and won (we chopped/six equal payments for the last six players) a tournament that was comprised of 123 ladies (albeit 6 were men)(I use the term lightly) in the LIPS (Ladies International Poker Series) in San Diego, CA.  I love playing tournament poker.  I am getting some good results doing it.  It takes an enormous amount of patience and focus for long strenuous hours. 


We started at 11am and played until reaching our agreement at 8:30pm.  We had a 10 minute break every two hours, but no lunch or dinner break.  I subsisted on oatmeal eaten at 8am that morning and a few pretzel sticks until I got home at 11pm last night.  I cannot eat while I am playing in a tournament.  It was pretty grueling but I have played for longer periods of time.  The World Series of Poker is 12 hour stints with an hour break for dinner.


There were alot of familiar faces and they are recognizing me and giving me hugs before we start.  I have made some new "poker" friends but these would not be the friends I go shopping with or to the movies with.  Of course none of them are friends when you are at the table trying to get their chips.  These are friends you can tell your bad beat stories to or, gain insight on a new player or figure out where the next big tournament is going to be.


The men who played were a novelty and some were dressed in drag.  I get asked all the time what I think about men playing in a ladies tournament and my disdain has changed over the years from being mad about it to thank you for the donation to our prize pool because they never win.  What would be the point if they did win?  Would they have their picture taken with the caption of being the Ladies Champion?  Most think it's easy money, but like I said they almost never win.  I say almost now because there has been a couple instances where they did win but we immediately had their hormone levels tested and they passed:  high levels of estrogen.


I won $1600 and that will keep me in poker money for little while.  I am very happy with my hobby, and for the most part, it is self sustaining.  I am playing in a big one next Sunday, with a pro from Las Vegas who won one bracelet (Poker Player's Champion) and came in fifth in the main event at the 2010 WSOP  last year (Michael Mizrachi).  Mike the Mouth Matasow may also be there.  I'm pumped.  I am not nervous or intimidated anymore and feel I can play anywhere and with anyone.  Going to Las Vegas on Feb. 27th and will be playing in tournaments at the Venetian where I have had my biggest success.


My husband, son, daughter, friends and mother are my biggest cheerleaders and fans.  Thank you for all of your love and support.  Thank you especially to my son who talked me into going to the poker room for the first time where I made $50 profit and then talking me into going to my first tournament, where I made the final table.  Been hooked ever since.  He has given me the nerve, guidance. and game strategies that started it all. 


The most precious memories of all my poker games though will never compare to the many hours my son and I  have spent playing together heads-up on the dinner table playing for a dollar a game.


Thank you Ryan.


Love,
Mom


http://lipstour.com/NewsDetails.php?newsId=57
This is the link of the picture of the tournament I just won.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work on your last tournament! Think of that as a satellite to the next one where the big money is. Speaking of playing heads up, I think you still owe me a dollar. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so, do you have the piece of paper to prove it? Thanks honey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pic, Poker Mama! You've got the skills, lady!

    ReplyDelete