Tuesday, June 15, 2010

GOOD NEWS BAD NEWS

The good news is I had a blast in Las Vegas, the bad news is I didn't cash in "The Ladies Only" No Limit Texas Hold'em event (with six men) at the World Series of Poker (WSOP) this year.  This is the fourth year I have played and with each year I feel I am a better player than the year before.  I trained seriously this year, played in a lot of tournaments with a good percentage of success.  I felt ready.  There were 1050 players from around the world.  Many top professionals (Kathy Liebert, Linda Johnson, Evelyn Eng, Pam Brunson, Vanassa Russo, Vanassa Selbst, etc. and celebrity/pros Jennifer Tilley, Shannon Elizabeth, Tiffany Michelle, Cheryl Hines).  My table had Barry Greenstein's girlfriend and he came over to give her encouragement and find out how she was doing.  He told her "not to play like a girl".  I used to like Barry Greenstein. 

There was commotion at the table next to mine where a "man" player resided.  He was acting out and generally being a real jerk.  The final straw came when he placed a tampon on the table to use as a card protector.  The floorman was called as the women complained at the outrageous inappropriate behavior.  He was only given a two round penalty but was told he would be out if anything else happened.  They (WSOP) then provided all the women at the table with a free massage.

I played nine hours and outlasted 3/4 of the field.  I finished two hours short of continuing to day two.  The last three to fours hours I was card dead (very bad cards).  I was never able to make any big moves to pick up more chips.  At last I got Ace Jack suited on the button and the table folded to me.  It was just the small and big blind to act.  I pushed my short stack in.  I wanted a caller but when the big blind insta-called I knew I was in trouble.  She had Ace King.  Her hand held up and she had me covered and I was out.  I was upset that I finished short of my goal but at least this year I didn't go out with the best hand.  I don't think I could have done anything differently except maybe for one hand.  I am trying not to beat myself up over it and remind myself that it still was a good showing.

I talked to Pam Brunson after being knocked out (Doyle Brunson's daughter and she remembered me from last year and was so sweet).  She was knocked out much earlier than me.  In fact so were most of the other people mentioned above. 

My husband cheered from the rail and gave me updates on other people for all nine hours.  He walked back to our room (about a half mile) twice to get me things I needed.  I don't know what I would do without his kindness and support.  He gives me good advice and encouragement.

The Rio/WSOP has made many improvements since last year the biggest being the room.  It is three times the size of the one you've seen on tv in years past.  So much more room and better organized.  No more long lines, etc.  The Poker Kitchen (food court) is right across the hallway and the bathrooms are very convenient.  During the women's they even closed down the men's bathroom and opened it up to women only.  They have a big stage at one end for speakers and have the bracelets for all the events displayed across the back of it.  As the bracelets are being won the winner's photo is added in the display.

The rest of my weekend consisted of playing live til  four in the morning, getting up three hours later and starting over.  I played in a big tournament at Ceasars ( a two day event) and came in 30 out of 184.  I would have done better but went out when my Ace King was beat by Ace Eight (eight on the turn).  That was tougher to take than the Ladies event.  I played nine hours there also.  Then I went back to the Rio after playing nine hours and decided to play in an 11pm event in which I cashed - coming in 10th.  Finished at 4am, no sleep but it was worth it.  FINALLY!!!

Overall it was a great and fun trip albeit the outcome.  I want to thank my family and friends who continue to cheer and encourage me and listen to my sad stories when I get knocked out or take bad beats.  I always feel like I might quit immediately after being knocked out when my mind is numb and my body is tired from concentrating and playing for so long.  But that just lasts until I sit down at the next poker table.  It is a cruel, frustrating sport but I can't think of anything I have more fun playing.  I have made many friends and learned valuable life lessons.  I will continue to play as long as I am having fun and as long as I can make enough money to keep me going. 

In the mean time our nieces are coming in July for a week so I will take the opportunity to be a good aunt and teach them how to play (as long as they bring their pennies).

SHUFFLE UP AND DEAL

2 comments:

  1. You had a great showing and have nothing to feel bad about. All you can do is learn from your experience and continue to grow. I would suggest Harrington on Hold Em which has fantastic tournament strategy, while most books have no focus or talk more about cash game strategy. You might think about changing your surroundings next year and play in a different tournament. You might be surprised to find that it is easier to play against men. The male ego is so fragile (especially in poker) that most are so afraid of losing to a woman they will change their game completely. Keep your head up, you'll get em next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are still my poker hero. Next year.

    ReplyDelete