Thursday, March 25, 2010

MODERN FAMILY












Television has come a long way.  There is instant news, limitless channels and programming, game playing even internet capabilities.   When I was a child in the fifties, if you had a television set you were among the few on the block.  We had three channels, ABC, NBC and CBS.  There were no remote controls, cable, DVRs, movies, color, or flat screens and you would need to spend half a day dusting the console.  I loved television and waited with great anticipation for the few childrens shows like Howdy Doodie, Captain Kangaroo, The Mickey Mouse Club and a variety of cartoons like:  Popeye, Mickey Mouse, Felix the Cat, Mighty Mouse and later Rocky and Bullwinkle.  The family gathered around to watch dramas like Rin Tin Tin, The Lone Ranger, Fury, Superman, Lassie, Bonanza, Gunsmoke and Wagon Train .  Ed Sullivan was a must on Sunday nights and I saw the Beatles for the first time along with most of America in their debut.  Very exciting stuff although my parents didn't match my enthusiam for the Beatles.  I watched anything with a horse in it and wanted to be a cowgirl when I grew up.  I brandished a holster with guns, cowboy boots a hat and rode a horse (which was the neighborhood mailbox) on the corner of my block for hours. 

The programming was light, inspirational, entertaining and the bad guys always lost.  The news was delivered without bias and would be behind the actual event by about eight to twelve hours.  There was no hint of "sexy time" as all married couples had to be fully clothed in pjs and slept in separate twin beds. 

Todays televison is a much different story.  I am always searching for well written, entertaining shows.  With the overrun of reality programming, traditional drama and sitcom programming are much harder to find.  Some of the best dramas, comedies are now available on the premium channels if you are lucky enough to pay the premium price to have them.

I have found a new show this season that warrants the anticipation I felt as a child.  Modern Family  on ABC on Wednesdays at 9:00pm PST is really worth 30 minutes out of your life.  It is one program that I can't wait to watch so I don't even DVR it first so I can play it back without commercials.  Modern Family is composed of three families that interconnect with one another through the family patriarc played by Ed O'Neil.  You have a gay couple with an adopted asian baby girl  (Cameron, Mitchell and Lily).  The older, divorced man married to a beautiful, trophy second wife with her son from a first marriage (Jay, Gloria and Manny) and the traditional nuclear family with three children (Phil, Claire, Haley, Alex and Luke).  The first episode made me a loyal viewer when after just adopting their new baby girl, Cameron invites Mitchell's family to meet the new baby.  The family doesn't exactly know why they are being summoned but once they are gathered Cameron presents new baby Lily from the background with Lion King music blaring holding the new cub under spotlights.  Seriously, one of the funnier moments in the last five years.

They tackle everyday subjects like teen driving, furburizing (letting a baby cry themselves to sleep), birthday parties, step-dad issues, discriminaton and forgotten anniversaries all with wit, sensitivity and most of all fun.  We all know someone like them and they are all brilliantly portrayed. 

Do yourself a favor turn off the reality crap (anything with Housewife or Bachelor in the title) and turn on Modern Family.  The beauty of it is the whole family can gather around to watch and enjoy and you won't feel like you need to take a shower afterward.

NOTE:  Use the U Tube tool (type in Modern Family in the Search box).  This will bring up video snipets of the show.  Be sure to check out the Lion King one.  :)

7 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to try and catch that show and always seem to forget. I will definitely look for it now. Have you checked out Parenthood yet? It's a new show that I really enjoy watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I watched the premiere and was't sold on it but was going to give it a few more looks to make sure. Modern Family knocked my socks off from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that Modern Family is the funniest new comedy put out by network television in awhile. I hope that it will last considering so many other smart comedies did not gain main stream popularity and were subsequently taken off the air. It still amazes me that people would rather watch the scripted garbage of reality shows or another singing or dancing competition rather than something that is smart and well written with imagination. It is also not overly provocative and something you can watch with the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't have said it better myself - Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was definitely one of your best picks! We can always count on you to scope out the newest shows and think you really found a gem in this one. It's smart, funny, and with such a range of characters, has the potential for mass appeal.

    Today at school, we were just discussing how our community is comprised of so many different types of families...we agreed that a family is a group of people who love each other and take care of one another. Modern Family is in alignment with this same mantra. The show presents a light, comical look at the updated versions of the traditional family...and makes me laugh out loud every week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear BusyBee,

    I find your comments in this article right on the mark! I have also watched this show from the beginning and pray the writers can keep up their momentum for many years to come. As long as Manny continues to carry the show, it will be a hit!!!

    After reading your other post, I must say if you weren't already married, I would marry you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've decided I will leave my husband for you. :)

    ReplyDelete